Just eat real food
I was recently asked what I thought was the single most important aspect of nutrition. I could have said something like the following -
- Get off all wheat based foods. They are screwing up your digestion, causing inflammation and making fat loss difficult - If in doubt cut the wheat out
- Have a good site you can tap into for ideas on recipes that encourage a positive take on food/nutrition so you keep your food on track – click here for amazing recipes
- Eat more good fats as the vast majority of the clients I work with don’t eat nearly enough fats especially when following a low carb intake – eat fat to drop fat
Exercise is vital (especially weight training) but it starts with your food
All of the above are completely valid but none of it matters a jot if you can’t get them to stop eating complete crap at the weekends and for them to then ask questions like -
- Pitta bread is ok right? No it has wheat in it. Read the label
- Bagels are ok? Boiled bread = nutritionally empty food. Insert a spoon into a bowl of sugar and eat because that’s what you are doing picking a food like that
- My diet is really good BUT when I logged my calories (female) on http://www.fitday.com/ it said I was taking in 2,200 calories and 62% of it was from carbs is this ok? Might want to dial back the sweet potato, fruit and oats there missus
- I’m on a high protein, low carb diet but feel tired and hungry all the time? That’s NOT what I suggesed. Did you eat all the good fats at each meal like I suggested. Butter, olive oil, avocadoes, coconut oil, some nuts and seeds are your friend. Eat more fat!!
Overall, many people need to reinforce what I teach every day and stick to the plan. The plan is listed at the bottom of this post so go re-read it again if you have any doubts – The difinitive guide to optimal nutrition
What will also help you is to listen and read from authors I have suggested to you in the past e.g. over the last week Sean Croxton of Underground Wellness fame has held podcasts and presentations from some of the best people in the nutrition and health industry – go listen and read and there is tons of info on his free podcast.
Keep on keeping on and please remember that you can’t out train a bad diet so if you are not feeling and looking your best yet it’s quite likely you need a more focused approach to your nutrition BUT for the love of God go eat some chocolate (6 reasons why you should drink coffee and eat more chocolate) instead of biscuits now and again to keep you sane!