“Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed. Sources of strength never taxed at all because we never pushed through the obstruction”
I read the above quote recently and loved it so much that I thought I just had to share it. I am nearly sure it was from the fantastic book Born to run. I am not normally a fan of long distance running but I enjoyed this book all the same and just as good as Feet in the Clouds
Ok so back to the training side of things. Tuesday this week started with 5hrs straight of client and I did some interval running with most of them which added up to being out on my feet for about 40mins in total doing it with them. This type of training is hard for the client but it’s more like active reovery for me i.e. a chance to loosen out stiff muscles (shoulders and back stiff from the previous day doing 210kg deadlifts!).
My training week has not got a set structure as there are movements I like to cover over the course of the week and it depends on what my focus for the entire month is on. For the past 2 weeks it’s been on doing cleans (hang cleans and power cleans) in almost every session as I want to get to the point of doing 110-120kg cleans easily. I think if you want to get really good at a certain movement then aim to train that movement more often but be sure to vary the intensity in all sessions e.g. if you were to improve your chin ups then do a few sets of them in all sessions but one day might be weighted, another unweighted for low reps (easy day) and lots of sets and on a third day you could try doing 20-40reps i.e. stand in front of the bar and stay there until you get 20-40reps (take as many breaks as you need).
What is also vital to note is that my focus is on movements NOT muscles. The whole idea that you go into the gym and work particular body parts is the opposite to how your body functions and can over time lead to movement disfunction.
Tuesday’s session was -
- 3reps power clean 90-100kg , 8 side plank rows (band) and 1 turkish get up with 24kg bell (excellent exercise to test your stability and a full body movement) x 7 rounds
- Metcon – 24kg Kettlebell swings and ab mat sit ups for 21,18,15,12,9,6,3reps (5.30mins)
- Finished with dynamic standing core work using med ball tosses and on the breaks stretched
- Good session overall and the metcon would be perfect as a nice workout finisher for almost anyone
- Below are the videos of that session -
metcon – KB swings and sit ups
- 7am 20mins light run
- 11am 7 sets of 120-130kg box squats, 3 box jumps at 37inches and 3 band resisted sprints
- Crossfit endurance wod – Rowing, 4mins effort (rest 3mins), 2mins effort (30secs rest), 1mins effort (3mins rest), 2mins effort (30secs rest), 4mins effort – total distance was 3673m (total training time – 21mins)
- 7pm – more hang cleans and worked up to a single rep using 105kg
- Below is a video of the squat session (love the song, what do you think of my music choice? Come on it’s called Soul Rock, great tune)
I have a light day planned today so will do a light run and my new Buddy Lee aero speed jump rope arrived this morning so will be doing plenty of double unders to test it out. I snapped my old one last week so decided to get the new model anyway. Any of the double unders I did without this rope felt so slow as compared to this rope. It’s just more what I have gotten used to really.
Food wise I am currently loving a nice nose bag of mixed nuts, some dried fruit, 1-2 myprotein oats and whey bars (www.myprotein.co.uk and here is my code for your discount MP236991) chopped up and some 82% dark chocolate as my snacks for the past week.
You really need to have something like this near you at all times just in case you get a little peckish and I combine that with my famous paleo bars to keep me going throught the day – what do you mean you have not made the paleo bars yet! Here is the link – The Ultimate energy bars
It was chicken and sweet potato Thai curry last night – no need for any carb laden rice. The previous day it was roasted chicken with roasted butternut squash and roasted pepper and onions – yum!
Hope this has been helpful and post comments below and link to your facebook.